March 23, 2020
With the evolving crisis regarding COVID–19, more commonly known as the Coronavirus, Kansas Youth Soccer has been closely monitoring the situation just like all of you at home.
On March 12, 2020 Kansas Youth Soccer suspended all state-level sponsored activities including Kansas ODP, Coaching Courses and other programs scheduled for the rest of March 2020. New guidelines have been provided from health and governmental organizations and with that context, we’ve reviewed what further action we should take. As many of you know the amount of cases of Covid-19 has increased in Kansas and with now cases of community spread of the virus. As such the Governor Lauren Kelly has closed all school buildings for the rest of the academic year and nationally avoid gatherings of 10 or more people.
Effective today 3/23/2020 Kansas Youth Soccer is amending its decision by mandating that all KSYSA sanctioned activities within our association be immediately suspended through April 15th, 2020 as per the guidance of US Youth Soccer (USYS). This includes but is not limited to the following:
- All sanctioned leagues and tournament play (if your club runs a league)
- Team or Individual Practices/Trainings
- All tryouts, camps or clinics
- In-person organizational meetings or educational sessions
- Friendly games or scrimmages
- Until the prohibition is lifted, KSYSA will NOT be sanctioning any soccer related activities during this period.
- By not being sanctioned, any club, team, league or organization hosting any soccer related activity will do so without insurance coverage.
As for information on future programs and events that KSYSA has scheduled for Spring 2020 here are a few more details on that matter.
- The Kansas State Tournaments (State Cup, Presidents Cup, & Jr. State Cup) play dates that been schedule are still on as planned. However, it should be known that KSYSA intends to complete all state tournaments before the 2020-2021 seasonal year. We are working on multiple scenarios to complete the state tournaments, but the fluidity of this situation along with the unknown return to play date and regional competition status make it impossible to do anything but plan.
- As of March 23, 2020, USYS has not cancelled or moved dates for Regional or National competitions (National Championship Series or Presidents Cup). Should a change occur, KSYSA will update our members and teams currently registered to play in the event.
With the acknowledgement that we’re facing the unknown and we may not be able to play spring soccer. We ask for patience as we all try to comprehend the impact of this unprecedented pandemic. Please continue to take all advisements and instructions from local/national health agencies to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Please note that every area in Kansas is different during this situation and we advise all clubs to follow all City and County directives should they be issued for your area and may extend longer than what USYS & KSYSA mandate states as we battle this virus together.
March 23, 2020 - COVID-19 Update
March 12, 2020 - COVID-19 Update
If you wish to stay informed of any US Government travel advisories, we invite you to review current US State Department Travel Advisories here:
You can find CDC Travel Health Notices here:
Additional information on the Coronavirus and travel can be found at:
CDC Coronavirus FAQ Sheet
CDC Travel information
Recommendations from the FISA Sports Medicine Commission Coronavirus (02/27/2020)
Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE